Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Harmon Kardon Sound system on the Hellcat

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
All I put in mine was an AP4 module which you have to have and a JL audio 6 ch amp. It will blow your mind how good it sounds.
I would love more details, if you can ask your installer. I've read the stock amplifier is 11 channels, so how does the JL Audio power up 11 channels, or is your installer using two amplifiers, the JL to power the front 6 channels and using the stock amplifier to power the rear speakers and subwoofer?

HK System.JPG

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Charger, 2021 Hellcat Durango
Can you run that amp via the factory head or is there a seperate remote for this amp?
It runs on the factory head unit through the AP4 module (Link posted in subsequent post).

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
I would love more details, if you can ask your installer. I've read the stock amplifier is 11 channels, so how does the JL Audio power up 11 channels, or is your installer using two amplifiers, the JL to power the front 6 channels and using the stock amplifier to power the rear speakers and subwoofer?

View attachment 3420
I will forward this page to my installer and see if I can get him to answer the questions. Bear with me, I haven't forgotten you!
V/R

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
I will forward this page to my installer and see if I can get him to answer the questions. Bear with me, I haven't forgotten you!
V/R
Awesome... thank you! My assumption is that they used the JL amplifier to power the two subs, two door speakers and two of the passive mids/tweeters, while the rest of the speakers were powered by the stock amplifier. Most audio people only care about the front stage, which is the most important to the driver.

I may year into the system this weekend to see the speaker specs, really curious about it.

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Something to do with the ohm's but they ran 2 pair of speakers off each channel. because i had a JL 12" sub they disconnected the factory sub. They called me during the install and had everything shut down except for the sub on the factory amp and the output was so pathetic they recommended just disconnecting it entirely, which I had them do. The factory amp only runs the speakers in the middle of the dash and the back, everything else is ran by the JL 6ch amp. They do make an 8ch amp which they said I would need if I wanted to retain use of the factory subs. Since I have the heavy hitting JL W6 12" I didn't see a need for the factory subs. I am still waiting to hear back about ohm's and load etc.

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Something to do with the ohm's but they ran 2 pair of speakers off each channel. because i had a JL 12" sub they disconnected the factory sub. They called me during the install and had everything shut down except for the sub on the factory amp and the output was so pathetic they recommended just disconnecting it entirely, which I had them do. The factory amp only runs the speakers in the middle of the dash and the back, everything else is ran by the JL 6ch amp. They do make an 8ch amp which they said I would need if I wanted to retain use of the factory subs. Since I have the heavy hitting JL W6 12" I didn't see a need for the factory subs. I am still waiting to hear back about ohm's and load etc.
Awesome, that is what I thought they did, using four channels of the amplifier to power the front stage and probably bridged two channels to power your JL Audio 12" sub, which probably pounds now.

This gives me exactly was is needed, and an 8 channel amplifier would be more useful if one was to separate the front mids and tweeter and go active with an amplifier like the Helix V Eight DSP, or keep the stock passive set-up and power with that JL Amplifier, or I would go with a Helix P Six DSP mainly because I want better Bluetooth streaming and Helix makes a Bluetooth device that processes the Bluetooth much better than our stock system.

Very helpful, thank you!

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'll take a picture of the install after work, might give you a better idea of how they did it if you can see the wires.

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
One thing I forgot to ask was did you remove the HK subwoofer box, or was the 12" JL Audio woofer able to fit in the box?

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
They didn't remove anything. On the Chargers I am actually not sure where the factory subs are. Ill post a pic of the sub in the trunk and then the amp installation after work.

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
See attached. Hopefully it helps. If you need more clarification etc by all means ask!

Attachments

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
See attached. Hopefully it helps. If you need more clarification etc by all means ask!
This is great! Looks like you have more than originally stated and that subwoofer must be banging with the mono amp. You have two amps, and what looks like the JL Audio XD600/6v2 and the XD600/1v2, with the 6v2 powering the Front stage and that 1v2 powering the subwoofer.

Great system, must sound great! I cannot wait to dive into this build. Appreciate all the posts and pics!!!

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes I’m sorry I thought I mentioned I had 2 amps. One is the 6ch amp for mids and the other is a 4ch amp bridged to the sub. It sounds like you would think a $1700 option HK system would sound like, absolutely badass.

Last edited:

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes I’m sorry I thought I mentioned I had 2 amps. One is the 6ch amp for miss and the other is a 4ch amp bridged to the sub. It sounds like you would think a $1700 option HK system would sound like, absolutely badass.
Agreed, for $1,700 one would think it would be awesome. This system is awesome to the average person, but to an audio person it is not very good.

I learned my lesson to never pay a premium for a manufacturer's audio upgrade as they are not built with high quality equipment, just mediocre stuff like this Harman Kardon equipment, not saying it's bad, but your JL Audio is much better, Arc Audio, Hybrid Audio Tech, Audiofrog and my personal favorite Audiotec Fischer are a few other brands that come to mind that blow Harman Kardon away and can be had for a similar price.

Live and learn they say...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I don't know, but my K & N 900 watt 17 speaker blew one of my windows out and I thought that was enough. Use to J B Ls and Marantz speaker's, amp, pre amps 1000 watts. This system seems to be doing very well not over dong it with the power it as to offer. My vettes had JBLs and did very well. The K & N has dual 8 inch dual woofers with a 12 volt full size battery with no room for a battery. No room for a spare tire or jack. Just a tire pressure gauge and accessories. That was enough. Still have the car,,, having the engine painted,, and 800 h/p out runs El Ric's Red Eye and like Rico's Red Eye and him. Not too many Demons around. Hogans and that's about it.

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
HK in Challenger sounds pants no matter what I do with the equaliser. Either no real bass or so much it booms badly and sounds even worse. At the moment probably 2 bars extra on bass and treble and mid all the way up to make it sound like something is playing without having to go max volume. Is there some better adjustment I can make?

Just thinking, also got rear speakers turned up or I wouldn't know there were any back there.

Came with pre-built car so not as disappointed as I'd be if I'd ordered it but the Alpine in my Ram sounds better. I'm getting ready to order a TRX so thinking to leave off the HK upgrade.

Skrelnik

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HK in Challenger sounds pants no matter what I do with the equaliser. Either no real bass or so much it booms badly and sounds even worse. At the moment probably 2 bars extra on bass and treble and mid all the way up to make it sound like something is playing without having to go max volume. Is there some better adjustment I can make?

Just thinking, also got rear speakers turned up or I wouldn't know there were any back there.

Came with pre-built car so not as disappointed as I'd be if I'd ordered it but the Alpine in my Ram sounds better. I'm getting ready to order a TRX so thinking to leave off the HK upgrade.
Now that I bought another Dodge with the Alpine, I can accurately say the HK system is not worth the upgrade. Both systems are blah, and one should spend $2.5k and go get a real audio installer to install a legit system.

You being in Europe have endless awesomeness, from Micro Precision, Ground Zero, Jehnert, Sinfoni, Audiotec Fischer, BLAM...so much goodness over there!!!

Lize

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bury St Edmunds
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye
Now that I bought another Dodge with the Alpine, I can accurately say the HK system is not worth the upgrade. Both systems are blah, and one should spend $2.5k and go get a real audio installer to install a legit system.

You being in Europe have endless awesomeness, from Micro Precision, Ground Zero, Jehnert, Sinfoni, Audiotec Fischer, BLAM...so much goodness over there!!!
Thanks, deffo won't order HK on TRX, just wish they'd hurry up and confirm colours or I won't get it this year. I just checked the Alpine on my Ram and I've turned up all levels on the equaliser to max :LOL:

I'm surprised, don't you guys have loads of good US choices then? I'm going to install new audio in my day van but I know nothing about it all so its a bit of a nightmare trying to choose components, will have to measure speaker locations and go from there.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Macedon
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I had the HK in my 2019 Redeye and replaced the HK subs with a JL Audio Stealthbox (with a 12” JL sub in it) and a JL Audio amp to power it. It really woke the sound up! I had been satisfied with the HK system overall, but was trying to gain space to install a Modernspare spare tire where the HK sub was originally installed. I bought the Modernspare and actually never got around to removing the factory HK sub, so I never even unboxed the Modernspare. Then the unthinkable happened! I was offered A TON OF MONEY for the Redeye as a trade in on a Trackhawk, so I sold the car. I’m going to list the Stealthbox and Modernspare for sale on here, as soon as I get my lazy butt in gear to take pictures. Also a set of OEM Demon wheels with Hoosier 325/45-18 drag radial slicks that were only used for 8 miles as spare tires when I had the flat tires that set the desire to have a spare tire in motion.
The Modernspare worked perfectly. After buying it, I never had a flat tire again!

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle