Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2024 Land Speed Trials at Loring AFB, Loring ME - URGENT

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
This is one of the best events in the world! A 1.5mi track on a 2.5mi runway. They try to run 2 events per year, the Maine Event in July, and the Harvest Event in late Aug/early Sept.

Loring Timing Association (LTA), the organization that holds the events, has been experiencing low turnout at the Harvest Event and is considering cancelling it this year, this is from the FB post:

A quick review of the pre-event registrations reveals that there is considerable interest in the July Maine Event but limited interest in the August Harvest Event. In 2022 we had the Maine Event and cancelled the Harvest Event for the same reason. Last year we tried both again and had a disappointing turnout for Harvest. We are considering in the future, running just the Maine Event. I am sure everyone realizes that it takes a lot of effort and expense to produce a land speed race event. It just isn't a sound decision to conduct an event for 30 entries. We will re-evaluate in 2 weeks and make the determination at that time.

The importance of the Harvest Event is to get a second chance. If you car has a problem, or you want to make a small change, it allows you to do it and come back and try again without waiting a full year.

Please, any of you guys, those who like speed, who really want to experience real speed, please come and join us these events. If you can only come once, register for the Harvest Event, the weather is cooler, air is better, and it is less crowded.

This is something you will remember for the rest of your life, and you will have stories for the grand kids!

Come join us, register now, and it is a very pleasant drive once you get out of MA!

For the record, I have no affiliation with LTA other than being a participant. My selfish reason is that I would like to attend the Harvest Event and if enough people register I hope they will decide to keep it on the calendar.

Please register now! Thanks!!!

https://www.loringtiming.com/track

Loring_Aeril.jpg Screen1.jpg

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #2
191.jpg

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #3
So, how many of you guys don't want to do this? ;)

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I wish I was closer. I'd love to do something like this. Closest to me are Texas and Arkansas and even those are pretty far.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
It's 1050 miles away, which sucks plus my car tops out at 168 and we all know the platform goes much faster than that and NO I'm not changing tires and tune! Would be cool as hell to see it though.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #6
It's 1050 miles away, which sucks plus my car tops out at 168 and we all know the platform goes much faster than that and NO I'm not changing tires and tune! Would be cool as hell to see it though.
Obviously you should have bought a SS and RE! :) (Me too.:()

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Over 3K+ miles for me…but I’d love to do this if I could. We have a standing 1/2-mile event here, and outside of Bonneville that’s probably one of few longer distance events in the entire country, and you’re not cleaning salt out from your undercarriage literally years later (been there, done that!). Sounds like a hoot and half!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Scat Pack Shaker Challenger
Can they move the track (airstrip) somewhere closer to civilization?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
For us who are not close to the NE, getting to Maine is a haul. But otherwise it would be a hoot. I would put mine on it.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #10
Can they move the track (airstrip) somewhere closer to civilization?
No.

They put the AFB there because it is the closest point in the continental U.S. to potential targets in Europe, middle east and eastern Russia! It was built in, I think 1947 for the B36. The gvt still maintains the runway, just in case... ;) One of the better uses of our tax $!

See:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048667/

Member ID
Reactions
City
Silver Spring
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Scat Pack Shaker Challenger
But that's also why you don't get much turnout. Have them charge more and get by with less competitors.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I would like to go. Not too far for me pencil me in for August.
I will go in the RE, pull the MT drag radials and put on speed rated tires and go through the car for preparation of the event.

Edit. I am on the Mass R.I. boarder it is a haul just bottom to top of main is a trek. But Yes I will go.

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Too far.

: (

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #14
But that's also why you don't get much turnout. Have them charge more and get by with less competitors.
I had a conversation with one of the other die hard competitors, and he is planning to call the head guy and talk. I said I am ok with an extra $2-300 but I think that may scare some people away.

I think they could do much better but they really don't market the event. I also think they should give an incentive to early registration. As it is now, people who want to attend in Aug don't need to register at all, they could just show up with cash and run. I am a believer in providing an incentive to get people to commit, like charge an extra $100 if you don't register before June 1, and an extra $100 if you don't register 30 days before the event. Right now some people wait for the 10 day weather forecast and decide. They should pay extra!

But these guys run it their way...

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #15
I would like to go. Not too far for me pencil me in for August.
I will go in the RE, pull the MT drag radials and put on speed rated tires and go through the car for preparation of the event.

Edit. I am on the Mass R.I. boarder it is a haul just bottom to top of main is a trek. But Yes I will go.
That would be great! Here is the link.

https://www.loringtiming.com/registration

Also, most of Maine is 70mph, and a lot is 75. Only traffic is in Portland and Bangor, and even that is not like MA or RI traffic at all!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The Colorado Mile was ~$500-750 depending on exactly what you opted in/out of. By the time you got done buying all of the stuff above and beyond (from them, t-shirts ect), you were easily into $1000 for the full 3-day event.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #17
The Colorado Mile was ~$500-750 depending on exactly what you opted in/out of. By the time you got done buying all of the stuff above and beyond (from them, t-shirts ect), you were easily into $1000 for the full 3-day event.
I know there is a lot of things they can do, but these guys run the events for their own entertainment and do their thing. I know most, if not all the organizers do not participate. Don't ask me...

I'm just happy they do it at all.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #18
Hey moparjim you've been there several times, let everyone know how happy you are that you went! :)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I know there is a lot of things they can do, but these guys run the events for their own entertainment and do their thing. I know most, if not all the organizers do not participate. Don't ask me...

I'm just happy they do it at all.

Well, and to put that number further into perspective, they were losing ~$50,000 each year with approximately 125-150 entries. They did it for 3 years trying to build interest and had hoped to get to at least 200 entries.

I was able to essentially hot-lap the 3 years I did it and could easily get 50 runs in the 3-day weekend, whereas down in Texas (where they were headquartered), they would tell me you'd be lucky to get 2-3 runs per day, and only if you stayed in line the ENTIRE day.

They wanted me to sponsor them, but it wasn't in our budget for such things.

As I'm sure you can guess, it isn't cheap to rent a runway, and in the case of an active runway, it's even worse.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
50 runs! 👍 bang for buck = good as it gets. Also a testament to Engineered durability for powertrain.