Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye ran without filter

Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Update 6/28/24
Dealership towed the car back and admitted they dropped the ball. They had the car inspected by their master techs, master tech pulled the plugs and inspected cylinder walls and performed a compression test to make sure that engine damage wasn’t done. Still waiting on Cylinder pictures. Dealership agreed to have the scratches fixed at a body shop of my choosing based on estimate.

Tried so hard to keep this car pristine it’s unfortunate that this happened.
How'd it get scratched up like that?

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #22
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Red/Red/Redeye
Looks like they took it for a test ride to try and find the drain plug outside and curbed the front fascia on a parking curb or a steep driveway somewhere while jumping it over something, while trying to get the oil pressure gauge to work because it was reading zero after they poured all that oil back on...err in the engine...

Good luck!

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
DIY. Only possible way to know exactly what was done.

SilverBillet

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Update 6/28/24
Dealership towed the car back and admitted they dropped the ball. They had the car inspected by their master techs, master tech pulled the plugs and inspected cylinder walls and performed a compression test to make sure that engine damage wasn’t done. Still waiting on Cylinder pictures. Dealership agreed to have the scratches fixed at a body shop of my choosing based on estimate.

Tried so hard to keep this car pristine it’s unfortunate that this happened.
My current dealer takes several photos around the whole car for the record before they take it back. When I had my Hellcat, I asked and was allowed to go back and observe. I told them I just wanted to be able to check under the car while they had it up in the air. It doesn’t hurt to ask to go back. If you have a car like that, they understand.

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #27
Kind of a weird thread. I would think if the engine was started without the oil filter on, bearing damage would occur pretty quickly.....not right away, but within 10 seconds or so because as far as I know, all the oil the engine gets goes through that filter first.

-But you did say you "presumed they started your car without the filter on." If you feel that really happened, I wouldn't be taking it back to that same dealer...not a chance. I'd find another dealer that can remove and cut open the oil filter that was removed to check for bearing material and document everything. Other than that, there's no reason they should have returned the car to you until the entire oil spill was clean up fully....inside the plastic covers...everything. Good luck!
I was told they cleaned up the oil, if that is true the oil left is residual, I was at 6qts at home, fill line is 7.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
An oil analysis could tell what, if any, damage might have been done.

Kinda hard to duplicate an analysis by looking at what's caught in the filter.

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #29
An oil analysis could tell what, if any, damage might have been done.

Kinda hard to duplicate an analysis by looking at what's caught in the filter.
This is my plan, going to send the oil sample out to blackstone and see what they have to say, whole thing is a cluster but rather be safe than sorry.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I was told they cleaned up the oil, if that is true the oil left is residual, I was at 6qts at home, fill line is 7
Sorry, but just saying they "dropped the ball" doesn't tell me much. I would expect them to tell me what they did wrong in detail.....did they start the engine with no oil in it? Was it started with oil in it but had a bad leak at the filter? Was it started without the oil filter installed? Did they use the wrong type of oil? Left drain plug out? - Lots of possibilities.

Sounds like they must have done something pretty wrong if they are doing a compression test and boroscoping each cylinder looking for damage. Makes me think it was ran without oil in it.

BTW - I only mentioned cutting open the oil filter to look at the filter media to see if there's a bunch of glittery material or metal particules in it. If there is, you pretty much know what the oil sample results from Blackstone will be...

Good luck with it!

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #31
Sorry, but just saying they "dropped the ball" doesn't tell me much. I would expect them to tell me what they did wrong in detail.....did they start the engine with no oil in it? Was it started with oil in it but had a bad leak at the filter? Was it started without the oil filter installed? Did they use the wrong type of oil? Left drain plug out? - Lots of possibilities.

Sounds like they must have done something pretty wrong if they are doing a compression test and boroscoping each cylinder looking for damage. Makes me think it was ran without oil in it.

BTW - I only mentioned cutting open the oil filter to look at the filter media to see if there's a bunch of glittery material or metal particules in it. If there is, you pretty much know what the oil sample results from Blackstone will be...

Good luck with it!
I do some wrenching but I’m not a mechanic by any means should get some more info tomorrow but here are the results from the borescope and compression test.The only thing I noticed was Crank and cam wave pattern was checked no by the tech. I asked for the diagnostic tests to be done for piece of mind since at the time nobody at the dealership seemed to know what actually happened to my car.

Attachments

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Good luck!

I would caution you on demanding a re-paint of the front bumper, I mean it's almost impossible to not scratch the underside up a little over time and those are pretty minimal marks. I only say this because the odds of an exact paint match and it looking perfect are low in my experience.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
...nobody at the dealership seemed to know what actually happened to my car.
If that means that they fired the "tech" who did your oil change, that's a good thing. Not for you, but for future victims of dealer service.

And again, an oil analysis should answer many of your questions.