Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dealership Ran Redeye without oil filter?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
BTW, feel free to flame away, I'm immature enough to take it... :unsure:
Makes perfect sense to me (given your background..and intellectual nature)...but then I'm an idiot right..WTF could I know..;)...myself I wouldn't have the patience to perform such a ritual...and I wouldn't be overly concerned with Unhoy Guys assessment...the man is a Melon Head...;)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Never thought of squeezing out that last bit of oil, but it makes sense to me. I'll try to remember doing that on whatever I change oil in next. Of course, some feel that there's no reason to drain the oil cooler because "there's so little in it". Well, I drain it.

What I already have started doing is to crank the engine for several seconds before firing it up. Even after six months there must be some oil on the bearings, and with no ignition pulses there can't be any bearing loads to speak of.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What I already have started doing is to crank the engine for several seconds before firing it up. Even after six months there must be some oil on the bearings, and with no ignition pulses there can't be any bearing loads to speak of.

As I was writing that explanation out, I kept wondering why I didn't use the factory cold start method instead, as you point out, this would reduce even the light load of running at idle. I guess it's a case of old habits die hard. That and I guess I'll have to check and see if everything has Cold Start available anyway.

I did check the truck today and while it's there, it has a different behavior than the HC does. Once activated, it doesn't stop when you release the button (which freaked me out to be honest). But a quick release and tap of the throttle shut it down.

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I guess the first thing is, most importantly, this is a bit like "I can kick my dog, but you better not think about it."

So if the dealership did something outside of the norm, then they should be responsible for it. Make them give you an extended warranty on the engine.

That being said, the details of my craziness:

When I change my oil, I have a fully hot engine on both water/oil, at least 200F each, then I shut down, take an oil sample via the dipstick, and then pull the drain plug. This is within about 5-10min of shutdown. The oil coming out is still very hot. The engine is fully warm and lubricated. When the vast majority of oil has drained, I then jump in and start the engine for about 10sec. This purges the pump etc, resulting in another ~1/2qt coming out. As a side note, I usually let the pan drain/drip for several hours while I'm doing other things like rotating tires and/or cleaning stuff.

Now the filter is in place while I do this 10sec run, but the comparison between my method and what you suspect happened to your car is that the engine was "run" without oil/pressure.

Why I think maybe this isn't catastrophic, and perhaps not even "bad"... (Re-read my first statement in this post)

• Do you ever start an engine on a really cold day? Like truly cold, less than 0F, or colder?
  • Do you ever start an engine that has been sitting for an extended period of time? (weeks or months)
  • Do you believe that engines ALWAYS have 100% oil pressure?
    • Drag strip launches? 1-2g's accel (and this is fully loaded to boot)
    • Road courses? ~.8-1g sustained cornering
  • Do you believe that bearing oil film layers go dry at the first instance of low oil pressure?
  • Do believe that the bearing load at idle is significant?

As a side note, Cadillac for a while was advertising that their engines could be actually driven without oil pressure in an emergency, I don't recall the details of this claim, but I also don't believe there was anything special about those engines. This isn't a item I rely on for this, but it is an interesting thing to consider. .02

Why I do it? Because I want that 1/2 quart of dirty oil, which is a notable percentage of the 7qt fill, out of there.

Do I recommend this to anyone else? NO! Not at all!

But I present it as an interesting case study. I've done this for 30 years on my engines, over the life of 6 vehicles, with the last 3 having the oil analysis behind them to show that copper, the primary component in bearings, being low. Included in there is my HC, which has been run hard at times.

Oil analysis from my Power Wagon 6.4L that has endured this craziness:
Note the copper that is 1/2 that of the universal averages (other people's 6.4s), and further that it has been on a steady decline since ownership (compare current with location average)

View attachment 142031

Now, the obvious problem is, YOU don't KNOW what THEY did. Again, read my first statement.
Understanding that you love your car and enjoy caring for it, absolutely nothing wrong with that. But I have to think that all this effort will have no measurable effect on the life or performance of the engine. As things are, it pains me to throw away the golden 0w40 that comes out after only 1500mi, but I do it to maintain the warranty. I can't imagine that the oil left anywhere will cause any harm.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
...OCD...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I did check the truck today and while it's there, it has a different behavior than the HC does. Once activated, it doesn't stop when you release the button (which freaked me out to be honest). But a quick release and tap of the throttle shut it down.
Yup, they can be a bit different acting, but it seems like the function is there on most any FCA/Stellantis...at least from '18 and up.

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #67
I guess the first thing is, most importantly, this is a bit like "I can kick my dog, but you better not think about it."

So if the dealership did something outside of the norm, then they should be responsible for it. Make them give you an extended warranty on the engine.

That being said, the details of my craziness:

When I change my oil, I have a fully hot engine on both water/oil, at least 200F each, then I shut down, take an oil sample via the dipstick, and then pull the drain plug. This is within about 5-10min of shutdown. The oil coming out is still very hot. The engine is fully warm and lubricated. When the vast majority of oil has drained, I then jump in and start the engine for about 10sec. This purges the pump etc, resulting in another ~1/2qt coming out. As a side note, I usually let the pan drain/drip for several hours while I'm doing other things like rotating tires and/or cleaning stuff.

Now the filter is in place while I do this 10sec run, but the comparison between my method and what you suspect happened to your car is that the engine was "run" without oil/pressure.

Why I think maybe this isn't catastrophic, and perhaps not even "bad"... (Re-read my first statement in this post)

• Do you ever start an engine on a really cold day? Like truly cold, less than 0F, or colder?
  • Do you ever start an engine that has been sitting for an extended period of time? (weeks or months)
  • Do you believe that engines ALWAYS have 100% oil pressure?
    • Drag strip launches? 1-2g's accel (and this is fully loaded to boot)
    • Road courses? ~.8-1g sustained cornering
  • Do you believe that bearing oil film layers go dry at the first instance of low oil pressure?
  • Do believe that the bearing load at idle is significant?

As a side note, Cadillac for a while was advertising that their engines could be actually driven without oil pressure in an emergency, I don't recall the details of this claim, but I also don't believe there was anything special about those engines. This isn't a item I rely on for this, but it is an interesting thing to consider. .02

Why I do it? Because I want that 1/2 quart of dirty oil, which is a notable percentage of the 7qt fill, out of there.

Do I recommend this to anyone else? NO! Not at all!

But I present it as an interesting case study. I've done this for 30 years on my engines, over the life of 6 vehicles, with the last 3 having the oil analysis behind them to show that copper, the primary component in bearings, being low. Included in there is my HC, which has been run hard at times.

Oil analysis from my Power Wagon 6.4L that has endured this craziness:
Note the copper that is 1/2 that of the universal averages (other people's 6.4s), and further that it has been on a steady decline since ownership (compare current with location average)

View attachment 142031

Now, the obvious problem is, YOU don't KNOW what THEY did. Again, read my first statement.
Thank you bull for posting, this is an interesting take, when did you start this procedure of yours?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thank you bull for posting, this is an interesting take, when did you start this procedure of yours?

Roughly in the early 90s.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Roughly in the early 90s.
That's a lot of 1/2 quarts that didn't get regurgitated.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
@SilverBillet

The answer is yes... The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one??? :LOL:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
@SilverBillet

The answer is yes... The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one??? :LOL:
What other aberrations do you suffer from...:unsure::unsure::oops:...tell me you don't lick the dipstick instead of wiping it clean

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
How many people can lick their dipstick...or elbow?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
What other aberrations do you suffer from...:unsure::unsure::oops:...tell me you don't lick the dipstick instead of wiping it clean

Why do you think I work from home?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I
How many people can lick their dipstick...or elbow?
can do one of em...you figure which one:p

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States