Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dealership Ran Redeye without oil filter?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 F150 Platinum Whippled
16 of 17 might be you’re smoking gun… the valve reliefs don’t look right and I don’t know that there is a CA in a stock Redeye piston.
Lack of oil pressure would probably cause damage to the main bearings and cam bearings before there was significant damage to the cylinders. Evidence of bearing damage would be found in the oil and oil filter.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
16 of 17 might be you’re smoking gun… .
Apparently it could be somebody else's smoking gun.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 F150 Platinum Whippled
Apparently it could be somebody else's smoking gun.
Exactly.
The engine bay is obvious too… but the piston can be added to the list.
That’s some shit that the dealer is doing this.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I'd be documenting everything. Times, dates, photos, names of who said what and when, etc.

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
DIY!!! No one deserves this crap!!!

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Last month I had my Wrangler TJ inspected, the 3rd brake light was out and they replaced the bulb and passed it. $37 to unscrew and rescrew 2 screws, replace the bulb and the cost of the bulb, which is 21c on rockauto. Got home, it wasn’t working. I found a mouse ate through the wire behind the evap can in the wheel well.

Professional: Pay $190/hr and maybe it’ll get fixed, maybe not.

DIY: Fixed right the first time. Takes time, but so does driving back and forth to the dealer and not getting it fixed, not to mention $12 for a 21c part and $190/hr to not fix it!

NOBODY will treat your babies like you want, even for $190/hr.

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #47
Last month I had my Wrangler TJ inspected, the 3rd brake light was out and they replaced the bulb and passed it. $37 to unscrew and rescrew 2 screws, replace the bulb and the cost of the bulb, which is 21c on rockauto. Got home, it wasn’t working. I found a mouse ate through the wire behind the evap can in the wheel well.

Professional: Pay $190/hr and maybe it’ll get fixed, maybe not.

DIY: Fixed right the first time. Takes time, but so does driving back and forth to the dealer and not getting it fixed, not to mention $12 for a 21c part and $190/hr to not fix it!

NOBODY will treat your babies like you want, even for $190/hr.
This is madness

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #48
16 of 17 might be you’re smoking gun… the valve reliefs don’t look right and I don’t know that there is a CA in a stock Redeye piston.
Lack of oil pressure would probably cause damage to the main bearings and cam bearings before there was significant damage to the cylinders. Evidence of bearing damage would be found in the oil and oil filter.
Yeah the pictures date on the pistons alone is from 6 months ago, I already contacted a lawyer the dealership left me a voicemail saying they would like to switch my point of contact to another person, and stated that my Powertrain warranty is in full effect as far as things go, Im waiting on advice from the attorney and then I guess I’ll go from there. Car already has an extended mopar warranty that I paid for when I purchased the car.

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
In my area, I think 3 or 4 companies (people) own 90% of the dealerships. If you are shopping around for a Ram, the same guy owns all the Ram dealers. And he owns Ford and Chevy dealerships also. If you want an Euro import, another guys owns all the MB, BMW and Audi dealerships. Big corp tactics have been applied to car dealers and bear down on lowly consumer by eliminating much of the competition.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Be careful where you get your cars serviced in Colorado.

Took my 22 Redeye Charger for an oil change at Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram in Castle Rock Colorado and I presume they started my car without the filter on. Have oil everywhere inside the engine bay. Got home and found a puddle of oil leaking from the skid plate with scratches on the bumper from a lift.
Currently getting a tow to see what they’ll do to remedy the issue.
Whole oil change took about two hours and was told the tech “spilled some oil near the fill cap” They even brought the car back out to me to drive off with a rag covering the air filter.
Just be careful where you get your vehicles serviced everyone!

View attachment 141512 View attachment 141512 View attachment 141513 View attachment 141514 View attachment 141515 View attachment 141516 View attachment 141517

View attachment 141518
your scrapes look like parking lot curb rash to me. ask the dealer what bay the oil change was done in, an what style lift they used, even a drive on ramp wouldn`t scrape in the middle. I`m retired now but was in the trade for over 40 years. most lifts in modern shops are 2 post clear floor between.
if they left the filter off, within 10 seconds there would be a puddle the size of the car an you would smell it for days from the spray an wet oil literally everywhere underneath.
doesn`t look to be the case.
sorry......... just my observation from the pics. good luck getting it resolved.
the spilled oil looks dirty from taking filter off, if he did start car with filter off the oil spill would be clean oil not black.

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #51
your scrapes look like parking lot curb rash to me. ask the dealer what bay the oil change was done in, an what style lift they used, even a drive on ramp wouldn`t scrape in the middle. I`m retired now but was in the trade for over 40 years. most lifts in modern shops are 2 post clear floor between.
if they left the filter off, within 10 seconds there would be a puddle the size of the car an you would smell it for days from the spray an wet oil literally everywhere underneath.
doesn`t look to be the case.
sorry......... just my observation from the pics. good luck getting it resolved.
the spilled oil looks dirty from taking filter off, if he did start car with filter off the oil spill would be clean oil not black.
Thank you for this post and providing insight. 👍

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thank you for this post and providing insight. 👍
Good luck with all this. I’d be ready to go ape shit on the dealer especially after they tried to pass off pictures that weren’t even from your vehicle. Some shady shit.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have some insight about changing oil and running the engine without a filter.

But the information isn't for the faint of heart.

However, regardless of what you think of my craziness, it does have the end result of making a bad experience turn out for the better...

...much better...

Now the question is, do you really want to know what I know? And do... ...every time I change my oil... ...in all 3 of my vehicles, all 3 of which I get oil analysis completed on each change, all of which come back with fantastic results.

Ball is in your court... ; )

@Roller

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

However, regardless of what you think of my craziness, it does have the end result of making a bad experience turn out for the better...

...much better...

Now the question is, do you really want to know what I know? And do... ...every time I change my oil... ...in all 3 of my vehicles, all 3 of which I get oil analysis completed on each change, all of which come back with fantastic results.

@Roller
I assume you adhere to a regular schedule for oil changes...just curious why do an analysis with each change...(sounds somewhat fanatical)...my guess your vehicles are well maintained and probably not of the high mileage variety...what variations would you be expecting from scheduled changes...

OP
Roller
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denver
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #55

...much better...

@Roller
Absolutely, let’s hear it any insight is good information if not only for me but other folks on this forum.

@BULL

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
TL,DR (and I'm on my phone, I need my pc/keyboard, and I'm headed to bed)

Minus the mess they made, I run my engine for a short duration to purge the oil from the pump immediately after I drain the oil (as the last bit is coming out of the pan). There is a specific set of circumstances that are true before I'll do this however.

I'll follow up later today when I get back up with specifics

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I guess the first thing is, most importantly, this is a bit like "I can kick my dog, but you better not think about it."

So if the dealership did something outside of the norm, then they should be responsible for it. Make them give you an extended warranty on the engine.

That being said, the details of my craziness:

When I change my oil, I have a fully hot engine on both water/oil, at least 200F each, then I shut down, take an oil sample via the dipstick, and then pull the drain plug. This is within about 5-10min of shutdown. The oil coming out is still very hot. The engine is fully warm and lubricated. When the vast majority of oil has drained, I then jump in and start the engine for about 10sec. This purges the pump etc, resulting in another ~1/2qt coming out. As a side note, I usually let the pan drain/drip for several hours while I'm doing other things like rotating tires and/or cleaning stuff.

Now the filter is in place while I do this 10sec run, but the comparison between my method and what you suspect happened to your car is that the engine was "run" without oil/pressure.

Why I think maybe this isn't catastrophic, and perhaps not even "bad"... (Re-read my first statement in this post)

• Do you ever start an engine on a really cold day? Like truly cold, less than 0F, or colder?
  • Do you ever start an engine that has been sitting for an extended period of time? (weeks or months)
  • Do you believe that engines ALWAYS have 100% oil pressure?
    • Drag strip launches? 1-2g's accel (and this is fully loaded to boot)
    • Road courses? ~.8-1g sustained cornering
  • Do you believe that bearing oil film layers go dry at the first instance of low oil pressure?
  • Do believe that the bearing load at idle is significant?

As a side note, Cadillac for a while was advertising that their engines could be actually driven without oil pressure in an emergency, I don't recall the details of this claim, but I also don't believe there was anything special about those engines. This isn't a item I rely on for this, but it is an interesting thing to consider. .02

Why I do it? Because I want that 1/2 quart of dirty oil, which is a notable percentage of the 7qt fill, out of there.

Do I recommend this to anyone else? NO! Not at all!

But I present it as an interesting case study. I've done this for 30 years on my engines, over the life of 6 vehicles, with the last 3 having the oil analysis behind them to show that copper, the primary component in bearings, being low. Included in there is my HC, which has been run hard at times.

Oil analysis from my Power Wagon 6.4L that has endured this craziness:
Note the copper that is 1/2 that of the universal averages (other people's 6.4s), and further that it has been on a steady decline since ownership (compare current with location average)

1720121607331.png

Now, the obvious problem is, YOU don't KNOW what THEY did. Again, read my first statement.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
BTW, feel free to flame away, I'm immature enough to take it... :unsure:

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
BTW, feel free to flame away, I'm immature enough to take it... :unsure:
Just my opinion, but I don’t think it matters who kicks a dog or starts a car without oil - shouldn’t do either 😅

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
But I agree with doing risky stuff with your own car, firm believer in that. Doing stuff yourself, you can’t be mad at anyone but yourself (if an issue occurs), and you know exactly what was done