Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

This could have been bad... nearly had my car burn down making a 7 second pass

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Great video & message about safety. Hope the damage wasn’t to bad.

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Great video & message about safety. Hope the damage wasn’t to bad.
There’s quite a bit of fire damage all along the bottom driver side of the car, all repairable though. Anything that saw a bunch of heat I’ll be replacing, fuel lines and driveshaft for example.

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
Seeing that transmission line that came out of the c-clip fitting is deja vu for me. That happened to me last year so now I have clamps around the c-clip fitting over the c-clip. I came to the conclusion that the clip some how pushed itself out enough to release the push in line. So now the clamps I installed prevents that from happening again. I hope. So far so good. Luckily, mine did not ignite into a fire. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Glad you’re safe z!! Sorry to hear this, hopefully the damage isn’t too extensive and you can bounce back quickly. I’ve always heard that ATF was flammable , but I’ve never actually seen it happen. Glad you’re ok, and the track had an excellent emergency response team. It hurts me to see this, but I know you’ll be back 🥇🏆

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Seeing that transmission line that came out of the c-clip fitting is deja vu for me. That happened to me last year so now I have clamps around the c-clip fitting over the c-clip. I came to the conclusion that the clip some how pushed itself out enough to release the push in line. So now the clamps I installed prevents that from happening again. I hope. So far so good. Luckily, mine did not ignite into a fire. Hope you get it fixed soon.
Do you have any additional info or pics on the clamps you used? Assuming just worm clamps? I’ve lost many of those clips sling shotting like a bullet across the garage 😅

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That was a good response by the track people! Unfortunately that’s not always the case. The possibility for a car destroy fire at this level is a real thing. I have a 10 lb Safecraft fire suppression system with four nozzles. Two are auto (heat activated). One in the trunk with the fuel tank and one in the rear interior behind the drivers seat. The other two are in the engine compartment over the headers on each side. Those are manually activated by pulling a T-handle. Plus…. A hand held where I can get to it from the driver side. Obviously I’m scared of fire 😬 IMG_3571.jpeg IMG_3011.jpeg IMG_3825.jpeg IMG_4966.jpeg IMG_1934.jpeg

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
Do you have any additional info or pics on the clamps you used? Assuming just worm clamps? I’ve lost many of those clips sling shotting like a bullet across the garage 😅
You could use a couple of narrow band worm clamps, but I didn't have any of them at the time, so I used a couple of #235 (7/8") Crimp clamps instead.

20240527_213110.jpg 20240527_212914.jpg

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Dude!

Glad you're safe!

Car parts are cheap compared to human parts.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
It’s only a car.

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
That was a good response by the track people! Unfortunately that’s not always the case. The possibility for a car destroy fire at this level is a real thing. I have a 10 lb Safecraft fire suppression system with four nozzles. Two are auto (heat activated). One in the trunk with the fuel tank and one in the rear interior behind the drivers seat. The other two are in the engine compartment over the headers on each side. Those are manually activated by pulling a T-handle. Plus…. A hand held where I can get to it from the driver side. Obviously I’m scared of fire 😬 View attachment 139930 View attachment 139931 View attachment 139933 View attachment 139934 View attachment 139935
I would add one more to cover trans tunnel. Otherwise your layout wouldn’t be that useful for suppression in a scenario like mine. More protection more better! I’ll be building out mine next.

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Dude!

Glad you're safe!

Car parts are cheap compared to human parts.
Wanna know something interesting? Despite the shut down being decently long at this track, and having the chute out, my tbm brakes were still glowing red after the safety and fire crew arrived and put out the fire. Like a dull red glow that eventually faded to normal shortly afterwards. What does that mean in your expert opinion?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Wanna know something interesting? Despite the shut down being decently long at this track, and having the chute out, my tbm brakes were still glowing red after the safety and fire crew arrived and put out the fire. Like a dull red glow that eventually faded to normal shortly afterwards. What does that mean in your expert opinion?

Especially at night, that's "ok", but only just...

I reference at night because black-body IR radiation is amplified a bit (human perception of it anyway)

Pick one of these colors and make a best guess at which one you got to, then we can talk about how much headroom you had (or not)

https://www.machinemfg.com/temperature-and-color-chart/

And remind me, are your TBM rotors C.I. or steel?

RetiredFirefighter

Firefighter
Member ID
Reactions
City
Metro
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Durango 392
There’s quite a bit of fire damage all along the bottom driver side of the car, all repairable though. Anything that saw a bunch of heat I’ll be replacing, fuel lines and driveshaft for example.
Holy Smokes! (pun partially intended)

Glad you're okay.(y)

... Obviously I’m scared of fire 😬
One of the first things I remember being taught at the State Fire Academy was:
  • Firefighters are also afraid of fire
  • that fear (combined with training) helps keep us safe and get the fire out

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
To me…. That means two chutes 😂. Had that conversation with Colby when he ran off the end after deployment failure. It’s 4000 lb going 180+… 😳. I’m adding a second one with the turbos.

Last edited:

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Glad you’re ok you’ll have the car back up soon.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 F150 Platinum Whippled
Red brakes are fine, and expected in a panic brake situation. That just means the rotor is taking in a lot of energy. So long as they still provide adequate stopping the next time you need them, you’re fine.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Interwebs
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Demon 170
Wow Z, glad you're ok man.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
@zhc I watched the premier last night. Sucks to see. I'm glad you're safe, cars can be replaced, you can't be. What line pressure were you commanding? You would have to be exceeding quite a bit to get those quick disconnects to break. Stock line pressures average 100, some tunes average 150 maybe higher depending on tuner. Did you go thermonuclear to get that hp90 to shift and go 190+?

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
@zhc I watched the premier last night. Sucks to see. I'm glad you're safe, cars can be replaced, you can't be. What line pressure were you commanding? You would have to be exceeding quite a bit to get those quick disconnects to break. Stock line pressures average 100, some tunes average 150 maybe higher depending on tuner. Did you go thermonuclear to get that hp90 to shift and go 190+?
The retaining c clip did not break. And I generally command less pressure than some of tuners out there. Some folks have come up with ways to secure the retaining c clip to keep it engaged, like with zip ties or metal bands or a hose clamp as mentioned above by @DemonSRT . Seems like a viable solution to reduce chances that something like this can occur and it does seem to have occurred to some folks over the years. I have an after market cooler so I'm just going to replace everything with an fittings and lines going forward.